List is courtesy of the Center of Global Education
1. Most of Korean foods are very spicy
2. People are usually kind, but sometimes not to African Americans and South-East Asians
3. Speak slowly and clearly to people you meet because most Koreans, especially elders, cannot speak English well.
4. You may be disgusted by some food such as dog meat or dog soup if you keep a dog as a pet but they do not eat eat every kind of dog
5. Age is an important factor in Korea, so that you way be asked of your age because Koreans respect elders
6. Take off your shoes when you enter usual Korean house
7. Asking about age and marriage are not seriously personal questions
8. Koreans sometimes share food in the same bowl or plate
9. Individualism is not preferable. Community spirit comes first
10. Schedules and plans are often subject to change.
11. You may be insisted to drink alcohol beyond your capacity
12. Korean men like going to a public bath (spa/sauna) together for freindship
13. You may be bothered by children and youngsters who want to speak to foreigners, no and then with bad words which are not intended badly
14. Koreans are against America politically, not socially.
15. High School students are focused on reading and listening because of kOREAN sat.
16. Some schools have very strict discipline, where students are given corporal punishment.
17. There are other traffic jams on the roads in rush hours
18. You can’t find easily where you want to unless you remember landmarks because maps are draw out in terms of landmarks not address-based.
19. You can take a walk at night more safely than western countries because guns are not allowed to possess according to law
20. Blowing nose is not polite while eating
21. You’d better not start eating before the eldest does on dining table
22. Girls and ladies walk sometimes hand in hand or arm in arm. but they are not lesbians. It means kind of affection
23. American brands will be much more expensive than in the US
24. You don’t have to give tips except expensive hotels
25. Taxes are already included. Pay the price on the price take
26. You can ask for more side dishes anytime because they are free
27. Small store owners are sometimes reluctant to refund or exchange items you buy
28. You have to recycle according to instructions. (esp. food waste) So you have to buy designated plastic bags as a grocery near your house.
29. Korean English can be heard frequently such as a meeting as a blind date
30. Some Koreans are less punctual than American but usually they are more tolerant than westerners
31. When you drink alcohol with seniors or elder person, you’d better turn you hear around
32. There are rarely polite ‘excuses me’s when people bump into you on the street
33. Koreans sometimes say yes when they are confused in speaking English